Wednesday 8 February 2012

The Importance of a Great Teacher: Jack Picone

Award-winning photographer Jack Picone generously spent three hours critiquing my personal project: Chungking Mansions while I was in Bangkok last month.

I had edited the body of work down to a small batch, but Jack generously insisted on seeing every image. My session with him brought back memories of having great teachers in my life: those who can look at your work and undo what sits annoyingly tangled in your subconscious.

In the three hours, I gained direction for my book project, saw what images I still needed and have a clear outline for the book. He told me exactly why an image worked or didn't, all the while remaining encouraging. I left feeling positive and focused.

I highly recommend The Jack Picone and Stephen Dupont Documentary Photography Workshops to serious amateurs and professional photographers.

No comments: